The Rich and the Pure: Philanthropy and the Making of Christian Society in Early Byzantium. Transformation of Classical Heritage 62; Berkeley: University of California Press, 2021.
History and Hagiography from the Late Antique Sinai. Translated Texts for Historians 53; Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2010.
Wandering, Begging Monks: Spiritual Authority and the Promotion of Monasticism in Late Antiquity. Transformation of Classical Heritage 33; Berkeley: University of California Press, 2002.
Courses Recently Taught
- Rise of Eastern Rome/Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
- Byzantium/History of the Byzantine Empire
- The Near East Before Islam
- Ancient Greek and Near Eastern Religions
- MacroHistory: Big Patterns of Historical Change