Admission to the Master of Arts degree program requires completion of a Bachelor of Arts degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university.
The University requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 for graduate applicants. Successful applicants usually have at least a 3.5 grade point average in courses for their major.
Applicants for both the MA and Ph.D. should submit the following:
- Completed online admission application
- Application fee: ($70.00)
- Statement of purpose (1–2 Pages)
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, whether a degree was awarded, in the original language and English translation, where applicable.
- Degree certificates: International students must also submit copies of their degree certificates in the original language and English translation
- 3 letters of recommendation: sent directly to the Department or submitted online by the recommender, not the applicant
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE): Official score reports:
- Optional for all domestic applicants
- recommended for international applicants
- GRE scores must have been taken within 5 years
- TOEFL scores for all international applicants. The University requires a minimum score of 79-80 on the computerized TOEFL. We accept IELTS scores of 6.5 and above.
- Writing sample (8–10 pages), normally an academic paper
- Language information: previous language study and other languages known
Official copies of required documents must bear the original seal or stamp of the issuing institution. Uncertified or notarized copies may be submitted during the application process, but certified copies must be received before students will be allowed to matriculate and register for classes.
Online application and instructions can be found: http://hls.indiana.edu/apply/index.html#grad
Domestic applicants must submit their official transcripts to:
Or electronically via a certified delivery service at: email@example.com
International applicants must submit official transcripts to the Office of International Services at:
Applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents who have completed all or part of their education outside the U.S. will need to be evaluated by the Office of International Services. When the Office of International Services has completed its review of the record, that office will contact HLS.
No domestic application for admission with fellowship can be considered unless complete by December 15th. The international application deadline is December 15th. Applicants should therefore take the required examinations early enough so that their scores will reach the Department before the deadline. The Department will notify applicants whose files are incomplete; but each applicant must take responsibility for having the required items submitted.
IMPORTANT: Students who are applying for outside funding for their graduate work at IU, and who expect a decision on the financial-aid application(s) after the MELC application deadline, should not wait for their financial-aid decisions before applying to IU, since NO application will be accepted after admission decisions have been made.