Applying for a Double MA or PH.D. Major In MELC
Current graduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences departments at IU who want to pursue a double major in MELC must do the following:
- Meet with the DGS of your current department to discuss the feasibility/advisability of a double degree. If you are applying for a double Ph.D., you should discuss the matter with your Ph.D. advisor.
- Meet with the MELC DGS.
- Submit online e-application; All IU students, including international students, applying to another department at IU are considered domestic applicants for admissions purposes and therefore must complete a domestic e-application.
- Include in the statement of purpose your reasons for pursuing a double degree, and for Ph.D. students, indicate which MELC faculty member(s) would serve as your MELC advisor and committee members.
- You may reuse your original GRE or TOEFL scores and original letters of recommendation if they are still valid, but you should have at least one letter from an IU faculty member in your current department and one from a MELC faculty member if you have taken MELC courses.
- Deadline: Only applications submitted by January 15th are guaranteed to receive full consideration for financial aid in the coming fall semester.
- Once admitted, double Ph.D. students must complete an Advisory Committee form (for the double Ph.D.) and a Double Ph.D. form.